topical media & game development
present / print /
lost in science -- on the emergence of creative technology
from a new media perspective
- personal -- what makes life (more) beautiful?
- professional -- how can your discipline/expertise help/assist/contribute in making (digital) life more beautiful?
- general -- what is the (greatest) risk of creative technology?
- challenge(s) -- introduce
- approach/solution(s) -- response(s)
- model(s) -- analyze
- perspective(s) -- discuss
- issue(s) -- deal with/mention
challenge(s) -- the supposed maturity of CS
ICT challenge(s) [3/5]
ICT challenge(s) [5/5]
As I leant against the wall the University indeed
seemed a sanctuary in which are preserved rare types which
would soon be obsolete if left to fight for existence
on the pavement of the Strand.
Virginia Woolf: A Room of One's Own (1928, p. 9)
creative technology -- target(s)
- program to enhance students' participation and creativity
first thought(s) -- without thinking
inspiration(s) -- looking around
card(s) -- reflect
- main benefit(s)
- main risk(s)
Think before you ask!
Write clearly and do not forget your name!
approach -- media in context
approach -- with subtext(s)
- (cheap) philosophy -- leads to ignorance and self-satisfaction
- colloquial wisdom -- is an internet commodity
- common sense -- only results in confusion
random thought(s) -- why always square screens?
of personal challenge
everything else computation
item(s)/hazard(s) -- with subtext(s)
- requirements -- kill creativity
- user studies -- lead to conservatism
- clear goals -- limit exploration
model(s) -- the creative process
the creative process -- involvement & reflection
model(s) of dissemination -- pathology/dialectic(s) of awareness
- creativity is contagious
- viral games
- the (digital) seduction of a civilisation
on the emergence of creative technology
this is where the subtext ends, and the exploration begins,
with as the ultimate challenge, to realize a new discipline:
perspective(s) -- aesthetic awareness
perspective(s) -- innovation as an expression of ignorance
- frankfurt airport -- multimedia walkway
- shanghai river tunnel -- visual experience
- shanghai shopping center -- full globe video projection
- etcetera -- visual quilt, PANORAMA, ...
medium is the message -- the aesthetics of our time
9/11 / performance(s) -- tube(s)
issue(s) -- the creative technology track(s)
creative track -- starting from 1st year
- identity -- as a group
- portfolio -- as individual
- imagination -- mixing science and art
- authenticity -- as in no bullshit
- craftmanship -- in discovering the rethorics of the material
mechanism(s) -- educational element(s)
- (art) inspiration(s) -- item(s) of beauty
- (periodic) de-construction(s) -- discover (un)truth(s)
- (technical) exploration(s) -- trial(s) without error(s)
- (creative) workshop(s) -- to boost the imagination(s)
control(s) -- layered mentorship
- supervision(s) -- from multiple perspectives
- (peer) reviews -- with mild competitive edge
- (public) exhibition(s) -- for external exposure
slogan(s) -- do you want to make a difference
- technology to innovate social processes
- social processes to innovate technology
the world is changing -- twitter
- web2.0 (4): everything is becoming digital and virtual
- VU @ SL (7): even in 3D and Second Life
- climate @ VU (9): but there are serious problems
- computer (8): computer science is magic
- science (6): but it is not a science
- games (3): imagine no books but games
- (*) do you want to make a difference
- what, why, how (5): people keep asking me questions
metaphor(s) -- towards a new curriculum
- a networked world -- you make it work [engineering, management] -- not network maintenance!
- everything is connected -- you make the connections [mediator, management]
- everything is intertwinkled (Ted Nelson) -- you make it twinkle [the creative track]
knowledge is a (creative?) process
slogan(s) -- creative technology
- do you want to make a difference -- the urge to improve is what makes the difference
- in every scientist there is an artist, in every artist there is a scientist
- everything is intertwinkled -- you see/make it twinkle
second life /
- is the technology creative?
- do I use technology in a creative way?
- does the technology allow me to be creative?
creative (application of) technology
interact(s) -- interactive entertainment -- facets of fun
- immersion -- being in
- rapture -- loss of aesthetic distance
- agency -- being in control
art(s) -- computer augmented artefact(s)
- emotional response -- enrich experience
- intellectual challenge -- simply avoid boredom
computer augmented artefact(s)
application(s) -- my first creative technology application(s)
- sensor -- to detect footsteps on the stairs
- signal -- a little light announcing approaching person(s)
to enable reading ...
resource(s) -- topical media & game development
resource(s) -- create
You may not copy or print any of this material without explicit permission of the author or the publisher.
In case of other copyright issues, contact the author.