multimedia @ VU
ANTON ELIENS studied art, psychology, philosophy, and computer science.
He graduated cum laude in theoretical computer science, and published
his Ph.D. thesis on the design, implementation and semantics of the
distributed logic programming language DLP as a text book.
He also published a book on object-oriented software development, of which
the second edition has been translated in Russian and Chinese.
Anton Eliëns is lecturer at the Computer Science department of the
Faculty of Science of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam,
where he teaches multimedia courses.
He is also coordinator of the Master Multimedia for Computer Science, and chairman of the curriculum committee for Information, Multimedia and Management.
He has written numerous papers on the application of (intelligent)
His most recent projects include the establishment of a virtual campus
in Second Life, and the development of a game-platform, XIMPEL, driven by
interactive video, for the Clima Futura climate game. This work has led
to the foundation of the Clima Futura Laboratories BV, that
specializes in media and game productions for climate issues
Anton Eliëns has ample expertise in teaching, and in particular
in doing projects with groups of 10-20 students.
His work with students has often led to publications on
conferences. He has supervised three Ph.D. students, and
acquired two NWO Open Competition projects, in the
areas of intelligent agents in virtual environments
and information retrieval in virtual environments.
His current activities focus on the application of game
technology in serious applications
and the development of serious games for education
and business training.
- 1979 -- Doctoraal Philosophy (UvA)
- 1979 -- Gerrit Rietveld Academy - painting
- 1985 -- Doctoraal Psychology (UvA)
- 1986 -- Doctoraal Informatica (UvA, cum laude)
- 1991 -- Ph.D. Informatica, prof. dr. J. de Bakker, prof. dr. P. Klint
- 1979-82: project medewerker Institute of Sonology (Univ of Utrecht)
- 1981-82: assistent researcher, Dept of Philosophy, UvA
- 1996-90: assistent researcher, CWI
- 1990-..: universitair docent, FEW/Informatica/IM&SE, VU
- 1998-2000: senior researcher, CWI (part-time, in exchange with VU)
- dec 2008 - juli 2011 -- praktijk hoogleraar creative technology / new media (UTwente/EWI)
- Professional member of ACM/SIGWEB
- Professional member of IEEE
- Professional member of Web3D Consortium
- member of ANMA -- Amsterdam New Media Association
- Eliëns .A,
serious games in a social context, GAMEON'2012, November 14-16, 2012, University of Malaga, Malaga, Spain, Eurosis/ETI, pp. 8-13 (ISBN: 978-9077381-74-8) (DARE/NI)
- Jan-Willem Van 'T Klooster, Bert-Jan Van Beijnum, Anton Eliëns and Hermie Hermens,
Interactive Scenario Visualisation for Homecare Technology, accepted as short paper for: PCHT'11: www.pervasivehealth.org
- Dhaval Vyas, Anton Nijholt, Anton Eliëns and Wim Poelman,
Exploring Community Building with an Awareness Display , Proc. of The 4th International Conference on Pervasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments (PETRA 2011), ACM Press. ISBN 978-1-4503-0772-7/11/05. (to appear)
- Eliëns A.,
Creative Technology -- the CTSG: game design in 7 steps, In Proc. GAME-ON Asia 2010, Mao W. and Vermeersch L. (eds.), Shanghai, EUROSIS, ISBN 978-90-77381-54-0, pp. 53-57
- Eliëns A.,
Interactive Space(s) -- the CTSG: bridging the real and virtual, In Proc. GAME-ON Asia 2010, Mao W. and Vermeersch L. (eds.), Shanghai, EUROSIS, ISBN 978-90-77381-54-0, pp. 58-62
- Eliëns A.,
Elements of a chinese language game, In Proc. GAME-ON Asia 2010, Mao W. and Vermeersch L. (eds.), Shanghai, EUROSIS, ISBN 978-90-77381-54-0, pp. 77-82