In may 2006
uur mission statement still is:
... to study aspects of the deployment and architecture of virtual environments as an interface to (intelligent) multimedia information systems
As a follow up on our intelligent multimedia research,
in which we developed a platform for intelligent agents
in 3D virtual space,
now focus on the use of
game technology for immersive serious applications, in particular:
This research is, at the moment of writing, the end of may 2006, still in its inceptive
and explorative phase, and primarily done in cooperation with students
as part of the regular multimedia courses or individual projects.
In 2006 and 2007 I was involved in a number of projects,
cooperating with partners outside of the Faculty of Sciences.
As I wrote in report 2006
Time never stands still.
After observing that times flies like an arrow in my report 2005, there have been many developments. First of all, I am happy to observe that most of the planned publications have been realized, and that apart from the uncertainty about multimedia @ VU, which led to a number of discussions with the management, the future does not look so bad.
The overall direction of research as outlined in
research plan 2006 which is oriented towards the application of
game technology in various application domains seems to be fruitful,
not in the least due to interest of parties within the VU,
albeit outside of FEW:
The climate game project is done in cooperation with
the Climate Centre to prepare a submission for the
The Second Life project is done in cooperation with
among others Frans Feldberg from FEWEB, and has resulted in
a provisional funding of 10.000 euro from the CvB to further
explore this initiative in the context of the planned
Media Institute. The 1st of march, the opening of
VU @ Scond Life was reported on the (national) RTL news
television broadcast, and (locally) in Amsterdam covered by AT5
Several newspapers, among which Telegraaf and Parool, also reported on this.
Currently, we are developing a demo of Clima Futura, to acquire sponsors needed to take the game in production.
Finally, september 2007 I completed the manuscript of
topical media & game development, that started as a syllabus for the introduction multimedia course, but has grown into a personal statement expressing my views on a wide variety topics related to multimedia and game development.
what led me to multimedia? /
- 1979 -- Doctoraal Philosophy (UvA)
- 1979 -- Gerrit Rietveld Academy - painting
- 1985 -- Doctoraal Psychology (UvA)
- 1986 -- Doctoraal Informatica (UvA, cum laude)
- 1991 -- Ph.D. Informatica, prof. dr. J. de Bakker, prof. dr. P. Klint
- 1979-82: project medewerker Institute of Sonology (Univ of Utrecht)
- 1981-82: assistent researcher, Dept of Philosophy, UvA
- 1996-90: assistent researcher, CWI
- 1990-..: universitair docent, FEW/Informatica/IM&SE, VU
- 1998-2000: senior researcher, CWI (part-time, in exchange with VU)
- dec 2008 - juli 2011 -- (part-time) professor creative technology / new media (UTwente/EWI)
- Professional member of ACM/SIGWEB
- Professional member of IEEE
- Professional member of Web3D Consortium
- member of ANMA -- Amsterdam New Media Association