print / present / list / cycle(s)
ideo design(s) -- affordance(s) / meeting people
... truly good design is about meeting people.
It is about opening doors.
Designers sometimes call these affordances.
I like to think of them as
visual clues that make you feel more comfortable.
the art of innovation
- innovation begins with an eye
- prototyping is the shorthand for innovation
- creating experiences for fun and profit
- in search of the wet nap interface
... the transformation of a business-as-usual culture
into one focussed on innovation and driven by design
involves activities (*), decisions and attitudes.
(*) workshops, pilot projects, leadership, interdisciplinary teams, dedicated space.
- barrier(s) -- hierarchy-based, bureaucracy, anonymous, clean, experts
- bridge(s) -- merit-based, autonomy, familiar, messy, tinkerers
ideo design(s) -- satanic mills [heat, beat & treat]
... they subordinate humans to the inscrutable
logic of the machine,
they degrade and frustrate us,
they compromise the quality of life
and the efficiency of work.
(service) companies must (innovate to) improve the quality of life!
ideo design(s) brief(s) / fail early to succeed sooner
ideo design(s) -- communication(s) / the decline of traditional advertising
... all of these clever marketing tools not only were well
executed, they also got people talking,
and that became part of the story.
ideo design(s) -- compete / design thinking is more than design
... in today's fluid business environment,
innovation is key to competetiveness.
ideo design(s) -- cult(s) / design thinking
... others, less in awe of the cult of the designer,
may confuse the mastery of the tools --
including the qualitative tools of brainstorming,
visual thinking & storytelling --
with the ability to reach a design solution.
... design thinking is neither an art nor a science.
it is the capacity, ultimately, for integrative thinking.
a culture that believes it is better to ask forgiveness
afterward rather than permission before,
that rewards people for success but gives them permission
to fail, has removed one of the main obstactles to
the formation of new ideas.
- inspiration -- problem or opportunity
- ideation -- generating, developing & testing ideas
- implementation -- from project room to market
change by design
comfort / style / community
- design is about delivering a satisfying experience
- design thinking is about creating a multipolar
experience in which everybody has the opportunity
to participate in the conversation ...
ideo design(s) -- future / where do we go from here?
... we are at a critical point where rapid change is
forcing us to look not just to new
ways of solving problems but
to new problems to solve.
ideo design(s) -- how to create great product(s) & service(s)
- make a great entrance -- easy to find your way about
- make metaphors -- to inspire (y)our new products
- think briefcase -- between work & home
- color inspires -- from business black to candy-pink
- backstage pass -- let them know what's behind ...
- one click is better than two -- as in autopilot
- goof proof -- with auto-save and undo
- first, do not harm -- or provide discomfort
- etcetera -- checklist / great extra(s)!
- the visionary -- rise above the others!
- the troubleshooter -- no excessive politeness, ...
- the iconoclast -- as a counterpoint
- the pulsetaker -- as a heart
- the craftsman -- with talent(s) & technology
- the technologist -- to unlock byzantine problems
- the entrepreneur -- bright & innovative
- the cross-dresser -- self-educated/self-motivated
ideo design(s) -- the politics of new idea(s)
... at the heart of every good story is a central narrative
about the way an idea satisfies a need in some powerful way ...,
as it unfolds the story will give every character represented
in it a sense of purpose
and will unfold in a way that involves every participant in
ideo design(s) -- innovation(s) / storytelling
... it is essential that storytelling begins early
in the lifecycle(s) of a project
and be woven into every aspect of the innovation effort.
... designers may need a fully equipped model,
but design thinkers can build prototypes
in the cafetaria, a boardroom or a hotel suite.
- time-based design -- each journey will be different
- designing with time means thinking of people as living,
growing, thinking organisms,
- ... who can help write their own stories!
ideo design(s) -- ways to kill a brainstorm(er)
- the boss gets to speak first
- everybody gets a turn
- experts only please!
- do it off-site
- no silly stuff
- write down everything!
ideo design(s) -- life / design with a small 'd'
... using design as a tool to improve the quality
of life at every level,
as opposed to creating the signature of objets
that grace the pedestals of art museums
and the covers of lifestyle magazins.
... we are entering an era of limits.
the cycle of mass production and mindless consumption that
defines the industrial age is no longer sustainable.
design thinking needs to be turned towards
the formulation of a new participatory social contract!
ideo design(s) -- process / design thinking is more than design
|existing users||new users|
change by design
ideo design(s) -- speading the message / storytelling
... we rely on stories to put our idea(s) into context
and give them meaning.
It should be no surprise, than, that the human capacity
for storytelling plays an important role
in the intrinsically human-centered approach to problem solving:
... the internet, in other words,
characterized by dispersed, decentralized,
naturally reinforcing networks,
is not so much a means
as the model of the new forms of organization
watching what people don't do
listening to what people don't say
empathy = standing in the shoe(s) of others
... the fact remains that curiosity does not thrive
in organizations that have grown cynical.
... they slow us down to speed us up!
ideo design(s) -- pioneer(s) / designer(s) of the past
... not minimalist, esoteric members of design's elite priesthood
creative innovators who could bridge the chasm between
thinking and doing because they
were passionately committed to the goal of a better life
and a better world around them.
tomorrow -- today: around the world design thinkers have become activists
and are applying their skills to sources of dysfunction.
ideo design(s) -- planting tips / cross-pollination(s)
- subscribe & surf -- browse magazines & books
- play director -- take perspective of film/story
- hold an open house -- invite experts & everybody
- inspire advocate(s) -- exercise mental diversity
- hire outsider(s) -- to introduce new ideas
- change hat(s) -- ... importance of observation(s)
- cross-train -- drills & processes from other ...
ideo design(s) -- story / life-size pong (350 people)
... as the prototype unfolded, we learned that
a story needs to be repeated many times
before people understand howit applies to them
and many more times again before they change their behavior.
a company's best defense is to diversify its portfolio
by investing across all quadrants of the innovation matrix.
ideo design(s) -- hitting the practice room
have some serious fun!
- watch customers
- play with your physical workspace
- think verbs not nouns
- break rules and fail forwards
- stay human
- build brigdes -- across people & departments
... the reason for the iterative, non-linear nature of the journey
is not that design thinkers are disorganized or undisciplined
but that design thinking is fundamentally an exploratory process
... this shift from physical to abstract,
and back again, is one of the most fundamental
processes by which we explore the universe,
unlock our imagination(s)
and open (y)our mind(s) to the new possibilities.
... people who practice design thinking rely heavily
upon imagination, insight and inspiration,
but at (...) they are equally committed to the rigors
of scientific prodecure(s).
- sharpen the focus -- well-honed problem statement
- playful rules -- don't critique or debate ideas
- number your ideas -- obvious, right?
- build & jump -- facilitate steep power curves!
- space remembers -- record flow of ideas
- stretch (y)our mental muscle(s) -- time is short!
- get physical -- brainstorms are extremely visual
... storytelling needs to be in the toolkit of every
design thinker --
in the sense not of a tidy beginning, middle and end,
but of an ongoing, open-ended narrative
that engages people and encourages them to carry it forward
and write their own comclusions.
... design thinking can help us chart a path into the future ..
change by design
in an interdisciplinary team there is collective ownership
of ideas and everybody takes responsibility for them.
ideo design(s) -- time / design in the fourth dimension
... designing in time is a little different from designing in space.
verb(s) not noun(s)
change by design
ideo design(s) -- from black art to systematic procedure
... the trick is to do this without sucking the life out of the
creative process -- to balance management's legitimate
requirement for stability, efficiency and predictability
with the design thinker's need for spontaneity,
serendipity, and experimentation.